Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Here’s to Good Friends


Growing up I had two very good friends. One I met when I was 7 years old and she was 5 years old. Her name is Juliana. The other I met when I was 10 years old and she was 9 years old. Her name is Aminie. As we grew older and moved away, we would keep touch from time to time. What amazed me is that no matter how much time passes, one thing stays constant – our friendship.

Recently I emailed Juliana to touch base with her. She was doing well and emailed me pictures of her kids and her. I have to tell you her kids look like mom and are very beautiful. Growing up with these two friends, I had to be very secure (at least pretend I was) because they are gorgeous. From what I can see Juliana has found the fountain of youth. She’s still beautiful and youthful.

One of the reasons, Tom and I are still together, is that all three of us walked into that fruit and vegetable store he worked in when I was 16 years old and he went after me. I know he had eyes only for me then and now.

It’s interesting that we can feel so at ease with each other. It doesn’t matter how much time passes by catching up is instantaneously. It’s comforting to know that someone you trust knows you so well and knows all your stories.

When I was 15 years old my friend Aminie was starting to doubt a life’s dream. She wanted to be a lawyer and doubted she had what it took. I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote simply something along these lines, “My friend Aminie will become a lawyer one day because she is smart.” It must have been 20 years later when she came for a visit and took that piece of paper out of her wallet. She said it helped her get through law school. How cool is that?

Having someone believe in you can carry you very far in life. We never know how much a kind word, a little note or a phone call can sustain someone. So here’s to friends you have for most of your life and to the more recent ones. I raise my imaginary glass of wine and toast all you good friends.

© Nadine Z.

No comments: