Saturday, November 11, 2006

It’s the Little Things

I find that it’s the little things in life that can brighten your day. Last week I was having a bad day. I didn’t sleep well and when I woke up I was sad. I’m not sure why I was so sad but I was. The last thing I wanted to do was to get up and go to work. When I did get to work, I realized I was in desperate need of a latte. So I made my way down to the coffee shop to order my drink. The woman who works there is getting to know me. She keeps a punch card on people who are regulars and when you get 10 punches you get a free latte. Cool thing is Fridays are double punch day. So on Monday I knew that my next latte would be free so I headed downstairs and was so happy to start my day with some java juice.

So let’s get back to my bad day. I was yawning uncontrollably. With the lack of sleep and the sadness I couldn’t shake, I needed a latte to help me function. Now some of you understand this and others might think I have a bit of problem. When I walked up to the counter Karen (the latte lady) said to me, “Hey we had a drawing yesterday and you won a free drink.” Now that was a pleasant surprise for me. Twice in one week. I didn’t even know there was a drawing. It was the magic of the free latte that just lifted the sadness off.

You see it doesn’t take much to turn a day around. The best things in life are free. So what are the little things that happen to you that put a smile on your face? Maybe we should spend more time looking for those things rather than looking at the negative things. So Lord thank you for such a minor thing that brighten my day.

© Nadine Z. 2006

No comments: