Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Idiosyncrasies

Everyone has idiosyncrasies. The dictionary states an idiosyncrasy is a way of behaving, thinking, or feeling that is peculiar to an individual or group.

Today a drug rep came in and bought lunch for the office. For those of you who are not familiar, a drug representative (rep) leaves samples of their drugs. They do this so that the doctor would give out their drugs. In other words, they are legalized drug pushers. You know what they say; the first one is always free. They also leave cups, pens, sticky notes, clocks, etc. – just about anything they can print the name of their drug on.

The rep brought us lunch from one of the nicer restaurants in town - Anthony’s. I had a Seafood Chop Chop Salad, which has crab meat, shrimp, avocados, eggs and tomatoes. I ordered the salad without tomatoes and eggs and extra avocados. It was delicious. I love tomato sauce, tomatoes on my hamburgers or sandwiches, but not in salads. This is probably the strangest one of my food idiosyncrasies because tomatoes come in the same form on sandwiches and burgers that it does in salads. I have no logical explanation for this.

My daughter mocks my food idiosyncrasies. I love fresh strawberries, but I don’t like strawberry flavored foods, like ice cream, pie, jelly, etc. Blueberries are the opposite. I love blueberry pancakes, yogurt and muffins, but I don’t like fresh blueberries. To me blueberries are the "peas" of fruit. I like pea soup but not on it's own. I don't like that they "pop" in my mouth. Hey don’t mock mine and I won’t mock yours.

So what are some of your idiosyncrasies? It’s okay, you know you have them. You’ll feel better if you share.

© Nadine Z. 2007

9 comments:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Hmmm...
I don't like my food to touch on my plate and I usually eat a meal one item at a time.

But then again you already know all this... :)

Tom

Art said...

Is it possible for one to be nothing but idiosyncracies:)

I'm the same way with strawberries and sort-of the opposite with cucumbers (I hate 'em fresh but love all kinds of pickles).

Shionge said...

Thank you Nadine for sharing and yes, we do have some preferences isn't it.

Like strawberry, I do like it fresh too, yoghurt yes but not strawberry cakes & ice-cream.

I enjoyed pickle with my sandwich but not on its own :D

Lala's world said...

Hi there, thanks for the encouragement on my blog!
I have to eat the food on my plate one thing at a time, starting with what I like the least to what I like the best....and I turn my plate so that what I am eating at the time is on the bottom right side of my plate....totally strange but it is what it is!

Anonymous said...

I used to be the same way with cherries...Loved the real thing but didn't like cherry flavored anything! Now I like it all. I don't like banana flavored candy, but love bananas.

I totally don't understand people who eat one thing at a time and don't like food to touch. I love food all mixed together!!! Mmmmm.

KC said...

Hello Nadine nice to meet you cyberly :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Lets see, I don't like tomatos when they are fresh. I like then in chilly and in veggie soup, and toamto sauces but not fresh. I like green beens but only from a can, I know that is crazy and most people like them fresh or frozen but not me. and watermellon, I don't like it, but I like all the watermello flavored stuff.

Kim said...

I enjoyed reading your entry today. We have different names for many foods that other people laugh at. WE almost forget that we have our made-up names until we get strange looks...shaky pink=strawberry milk, chicken with shells=fried chicken, chicken without a shell=grilled chicken, etc. Again, I really enjoyed your entry today. I'm off to dig around in your archives...Have a super day.

Nicole said...

Goodness, I don't even know what my food idiosyncrasies are. I have never even though about it. I guess I am too much of a hog to not like too many foods. Who knows. I'll have to think about this. All the foods that you don't like, I like them all fixed any way, so those are out. Well, ....let's just chalk it up to I don't have any. Ha!! I'll keep thinking.

It DOES remind me though of my husband that loves the smell of coffee, but CANNOT stand the taste of ANYTHING coffee flavored or even coffee itself.

Lynda Meyers said...

ok ok... I like tuna fish but in my opinion if it's supposed to be soft and squishy then DO NOT put celery or onions in it... I don't like crunchy stuff in with what's supposed to be soft...

ok, there you have it...!!! That didn't hurt too badly...:)