Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pastor’s Wife

When I first got married to Tom I was just marrying the man that I loved and wanted to share my life with. I soon realized that there was a call of God on his life and that he had certain gifts and abilities. It became apparent that he was going to be a pastor one day. I thought that was great until I realized I was going to be a pastor’s wife.

The problem was I didn’t feel I would measure up. I spent many years thinking I wasn’t good enough. What gifts did I have? What abilities did I possess? Then God freed me of the box I put myself in. He simply told me that I was perfect for the job – I was Tom’s wife and no one else was better suited for it. I was being who He created me to be. This freed me to just love him and our children without the stress of measuring up to other people’s ideals of what my job should be in the church. I only did what I felt God called me to do and served the best way I could.

I love our church and love even more the people in it. I have been so blessed by the people in our church. I feel their prayers for us, but it doesn’t stop there. They have been there for me in hard times (nothing was harder than hearing your husband has cancer) and there to celebrate good times. Their love and support is priceless. As I look around I’m pleased to see how much that love and support is extended to each other.

To the members of our church I want to let you know - I’m honored that God allows me to serve you in the little ways that I do. You bless me more than I could ever say. Thank you.

© Nadine Z. 2007

Photo of our church, The Bridge

13 comments:

Kim said...

What a lovely post. My mother has spoken often on how scared she was when my dad was called to ministry. She was wonderful in the role, and the church members all loved her. (He's medically retired now). Your church is fortunate to have you.

Dianna said...

God was right! No one could do better. Love you huge!

Yokooso said...

I understand the whole measuring up thing too...I felt the same way with my husband except he's not a Pastor but he runs his own business, which can be intimidating.

palmtreefanatic said...

nice post! you are Blessed!

Trina said...

I understand your concerns as well. My husband ministers in church as well and it can be pressure sometimes. However, I love the thought that you are exactly who you should be for your husband. That is a pretty important job. It sounds like you have amazing support in your church and that is a true gift. Im sorry to hear that your husband has cancer. That would be a huge struggle for me too. May God have mercy on him!

Lala's world said...

I think so many women feel they are not enough, I know I did for years! I am so glad that I have found freedom and am more whole today!
Your chuch is blessed to have you! you feel like an amazing woman!

Theresa said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog, it's always nice to meet new people.

God was right, he always is!

I was a leader's wife in my church, it was intimidating, but I made a decision to become more bold and it worked.

marykathryn said...

It is amazing that God puts us with our companions for special reasons...also comforting to know that. So sorry for you husband's diagnosis...I'm sure you are his rock. Your marriage sounds like one to be admired.

Nicole said...

That is what church is all about!!

Shionge said...

Nadine, you are so sweet always showing your appreciation to those around you :D

Mrs.Martin said...

What a lovely post. My husband is also apart of the ministry in our body. I understand what you have wrote very well. I am glad you shared so much with us and I will be praying for your dear husband too.

Elle*Bee said...

What a wonderful post (and timely for me)! We're Catholic so obviously I can't be married to a pastor (a priest), but Dear Hubby has been prayerfully discerning the diaconate program (to become a deacon). We have our first formal meeting with the director of the program in March.

everything pink! said...

what a wonderful post. thank you for sharing it