Thursday, May 17, 2007

Glass Half Full

I’ve heard it said that there are two types of people –

1. One who looks at the above picture and says it’s half full.
2. The other who looks at the above picture and says it’s half empty.

The last twenty four hours have been quite eventful. It started yesterday morning when my daughter borrowed my car to go on a trip. It meant my husband had to drive me to work and pick me up. I have to tell you that was the up side. I love being with him.

During the day, he called to inform me that he bought me a new wireless card for my computer. My hero! I’ve been using my laptop and that’s been fine but using my desktop computer is easier.

We were getting dinner when our daughter called and informed us that my car was acting funny and that the ABS light was on. What you do in this situation is you tell her to be careful and continue on her way and don’t make any stops. She called later after we had eaten to tell us the car died. She managed to pull the car off to the side of the road. She was about an hour away from home. Without hesitation my hubby tells her that he’s on his way. I decided to go for the ride. I asked, “Aren’t you going to take some tools or a rope?” Hubby was in dad mode and he only had one thought – get his daughter home safely. We get there and he decides the best plan of action was to tow the car. Someone had to steer my car while it was attached by the rope. Funny thing when you’re being towed and the car pulling you is going downhill – you speed up. Scary. It was even better when we got off the highway and onto the streets. Making a turn was not as interesting as going downhill but it came a close second.

When we did get home there was some damage to my car from the tow experience and at this point my car is dead. It’s probably the alternator, but it still needs to be fixed. Our daughter called us her heroes. She said she couldn’t have steered the car and was glad I came along. She said we both rescued her.

Today we got a call from our son who’s living in California. He was in a car accident. The result is pictured below. Hopefully it will get fixed by the other person’s insurance. I’m praying it all works out for the good.
At this point I’m thankful that my son and daughter are safe and not hurt. I wish the two cars were operational. I would love to say that in the last twenty four hours I looked at the glass half full. It did take some chocolate ice cream and snuggling with my honey last night for the glass to be full.

I have to thank the Lord for giving me peace of mind. I like to focus on what God is doing rather than what He’s not doing. My glass stays mostly half full, but it’s not easy looking at it that way. Tonight I thank God that my children are safe. I thank Him that only cars are broken and not bones. I thank Him that the cars will get fixed and I trust Him to help us. I’m grateful for God’s goodness and His love for our family. I’m grateful that He keeps my glass full of grace, mercy, peace and love. He is all of our heroes and we're all thankful for his protection.

So how’s your glass looking lately? May God give you the grace you need to fill it up.

© Nadine Z. 2007

16 comments:

Art said...

Cars are just things... important things yes, but still just things. Glad that everyone is OK!

Demara said...

Yes I too pray that your cars would be fixed soon and that God would continue to protect your children and that they would know that HE is the real hero right? :)

Diane Viere said...

YIKES! Very little more irritating, attitude stealing...than a broken car! I hope your repairs are easily and quickly fixed!

Your hubby sounds like an angel! Love a husband who gives techno gifts! Seriously! Enjoy that wireless card!

Diane

Anonymous said...

I can't say I enjoyed reading this post now that my oldest child has an official drivers' license. But God is gracious and your children were blessed by an experience which didn't cost any more than a damaged car. ~ Karolee

Cheri said...

When we see God in both the ups and downs of life (protection over children...or outcomes not being as bad as they could be)...the glass will be half full. I'm glad to hear that your children are ok.

Emily Suess said...

It's always a good idea to take note of your blessings and then think about how God is even bigger and better than we realize! The world could be full of optimists--I wouldn't mind.

Erin said...

I'm glad your children are safe and sound. Thank the Lord for His protection and safety. Hope the cars get fixed quickly and inexpensively!

yours truly B said...

I have been seeing my glass as half empty but, with my family and friends and the help of God it is easily full thank you for the post you could really list more than 5 things easily on daily gratefulness come check it out and add what you are grateful for.
Billie

Jourdan said...

amazing writing, Nadine. I love your perspective on issues like this!! Keep it up!

palmtreefanatic said...

AMEN! Happy to hear everyone is ok!!!
It is easy for us to say! The car is a material item, but it does have to get you to point A or B but keeping your Eyes on GOD is the ultimate goal and we have to go through struggles to keep our hearts right! I truly believe this as I am to be taking my 11 yr old to court next week! I trust in The Lord that this is all part of his plan and all good will come of this!
Have a Blessed Weekend!

Mrs.Martin said...

Nadine, you are glass half full kinda of gal and I love that about you.

My son's car looks much the same. Last Wednesday, he was in an accident and it bent his hood the same way. However, we are both thankful it was just he car.

Dianna said...

Hey Nadine!
I was gad to hear your kiddos are safe. The people we love keep us not only half-full, but running over, and pouring into others. Thank you God, for surrounding Nadine with love.Di

Trina said...

Good for you for looking at the glass half full in difficult times. Its easy when times are good. Thanks for the reminder on my blog about the 12 disciples and the INNER circle. That helped.

Jill said...

Oh my goodness! When it rains it pours... but sometimes that rain can fill up a glass to overflowing. I'm glad neither your son or daughter were hurt, etc.

Don C. said...

Wow, Nadine. Isn't it weird how in 24 hours your whole world can change? Talking with Tom the next day, I realized that so many people we know are getting tested to see if they will look at the glass and realize it was given to them by their Creator, and so, of course it's full...we just have to "see" the rest of the contents with eyes of faith and spirit.

Blessings...

Shionge said...

Many times Nadine people tends to focus too much on the damage done to their property and failed to see that our life is worth much more.

I'm glad they are both fine and well and yes...glass is always half full :D