Monday, May 21, 2007

A Little Excitement

Tonight a little excitement came into my life. I was at a meeting with my husband, doing the pastor wife thing, minding my own business. I was sitting down listening to the speaker when all of sudden I felt electric pulses in my chest followed by a tightening feeling. It was a bit difficult to breathe. Hum, that’s strange. The feeling went away. A couple of minutes later it happened three to four more times.

Sitting next to me is my handsome hubby who nothing gets by. He looks at me and asks, “So what’s going on?” I humbly say, “Nothing. I’m okay.” He didn’t seem to buy it. So we leave and he has me call our friend who had worked as a cardiac nurse for many years and describe my symptoms. Hubby is smart because he knows I won’t go to the ER just for the fun of it. I tell her my symptoms. After she spoke to me and then to dear hubby, we go to the ER to get me checked out.

He called the elders to have them pray. At this point I am starting to feel a bit better, but still have trouble breathing. Fatigued is setting in. I start to feel the prayers as the nurse started to hook me up for the EKG. Nurse Olivia was very kind. She gave me some bad tasting, lime green goo that numbed my esophagus in case it was acid reflux. I had a picture taken of my chest (chest X-Ray) and blood tests. Everything came back normal. As much as the lime green cocktail was gross tasting and numbed my insides, it made me feel better. One of the elders lived only a few minutes away and even though we told them it wasn’t necessary, they couldn’t help but stop by.

I appreciated the great love and concern that I felt. Everything was okay, but it was wa good idea with my symptoms to make sure it wasn’t something more than my acid reflux misbehaving in an extreme manner. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Thank you Lord for helping me tonight.

Emergency room bill – thousands of dollars.
Peace of mind – priceless.

© Nadine Z. 2007

28 comments:

Art said...

Always better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad it wasn't anything serious... but I'm sorry for that ER bill you're gonna get!

palmtreefanatic said...

I too am glad it wasn't serious...one never knows and our health is nothing to play with!

Unknown said...

DEFINITELY better to be safe than sorry. I'm so glad everything worked out OK!

Erin said...

So glad you're okay! What a night!

Diane Viere said...

I so agree with Art...better safe than sorry. My husband has gone to the hospital, feeling certain he was having a heart attack....to find that it was his acid reflux acting up. Can't be too safe...however, and your life is certainly worth the time and the bill of going to the emergency room.

So glad it was not life threatening!

I had my own scare this weekend....involving some dizziness and near-passing-out episode while I was driving. My first thoughts, well, right after "someone take the wheel!"...were, oh my goodness, if I die....everyone who comes to visit will see my messy house! Sad--but true! So I have been cleaning like crazy, now that I am feeling 100%. The Doctors assure me, that even though I was sure I was having a stroke, it was a reaction to some new medication I am taking for Rheumatoid Arthritis!

At least I've been inspired to "love" my famiy with a little organized cleaning!

Diane

Emily Suess said...

My hubby and I had a similar experience--only he had a kidney stone. We're still paying on a three thousand dollar bill and all the doctor could say was, "You just have to let it pass." :)

Still it's best to be certain that it really is nothing. Glad you're OK.

Dedee said...

Wow, glad you are alright. I agree with you on better safe than sorry.

Prayers your way!

Lynda Meyers said...

Good job going in anyway! Love you!!

Demara said...

I love your little ending there, that's great!!! HAHA :)

Shionge said...

Oh Gosh! I hope you are progressing well Nadine. Take care and you're in my thoughts tonight :D

Knit-Wit said...

Prayer is a powerful thing - glad to hear you have a good group of warriors on your team.

Louise said...

Glad to hear that you are okay!!!!!
Hope you have a fantastic week without any more of those types of surprises!!

marykathryn said...

So glad that everything turned out okay!! What a relief..sometimes this old body of ours seems to rebel against us huh?..lol

Deb said...

That happened to me once and I was home alone and had to drive myself to emerg.... I later descovered that it seemed to be the beginning of these little panic attacks. I had been checked a few times since then and Dr. said it was anxiety, I couldn't figure it out I was happy, newly wed, just built a brand new home, and we were starting to plan our family, life was perfect I thought and she said even exciting times can cause anxiety! Go figure! All in all I'm glad hubs was there for you and you are doing better. Hugabugs.

Amydeanne said...

oh boy! I'm glad you're okay! And glad your hubby was there with you. I wouldn't go either, so usually need someone to force me to go!
hugs and prayers for you!

Jill said...

glad you're OK- I was scared for you just reading this.

Anonymous said...

eeeps! Good listening to the hubs!

Kim said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. I've made many "GI Cocktails" for patients in my career. (Gastrointestinal)I hear they taste terrible.

I hoe your week goes well, and the acid reflux stays in check.

yerdoingitwrong said...

oooooh. that's scary stuff. GOOD JOB for getting your behind to the hospital and not messing around! I would have had to holler at you. =) GLAD YOU'RE OKAY!!

Nise' said...

So glad you went in and got everything checked out! Happy Bloggiversary by the way!

Military Mommy said...

I agree. Better to be safe than sorry.

Glad you are home and all is well. :)

D said...

Glad to hear that you're ok! And happy blogiversary to you! I'm so glad you decided to start blogging...you are a real encourager!

yours truly B said...

I am so glad you are okay. Thank God it was nothing serious.
Billie

Elle*Bee said...

Always better to get things checked out. Hope you're feeling better.

~Crystal~ said...

My goodness...I sure am glad you are OK. My Mom has gone to the ER a couple of times, with those kind of symptoms & it was acid reflux. You're right, it's better to be safe then sorry.

eph2810 said...

Oh, dear, I am so sorry that this happened to you, but glad that you are okay and that your acid reflux was just misbehaving.
Awesome that you have such a caring husband and caring elders :)

Be blessed today and always.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Totally scary. I'm glad you're OK.

Amanda said...

Wow bet that was a bit scary...I always enjoy reading the way you deal with life