Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Big Cheese

It had been a long time since I watched anything on the Disney Channel. But yesterday, my family wasn’t home. My husband and daughter went to Seattle to help our son move back home for a while. I was flicking the channel, because I could, and stopped for a moment on the Disney Channel. A moment was all I could stand. The show that was on was so cheesy and the acting was so bad I felt bad for those kids. I bet you when they grow up, they don’t include that show on their resume. I had to change the channel. I know the programming is for kids, but kids have taste don’t they? Okay, maybe they don’t notice the cheesy lines but their parents do.

I remembered when I watched the movie Aladdin with our kids when they were little. Tom and I laughed our heads off, while the kids missed many of the jokes. Many parents watch television with their kids. Why should they suffer through shows like; Barney and Blues Clues. I was grateful my kids had Sesame Street. Okay, so there was Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I’ll admit it, I liked Mr. Rogers even though it was guilty of the Big Cheese.

There really isn’t anything wrong with cheese. I mean one of the movies I love is the King of Cheese – Dirty Dancing. Yeah baby that right. I loved the music and the dancing but the rest of the movie leaves a lot to be desired. It had some of the worst lines ever written. A couple of examples:

“Why don’t you go back to your playpen, Baby?”
“Nobody puts Baby in the corner.”

Note to screenwriters: don’t call the main character Baby, because it leads you down the path of the Big Cheese.

© Nadine Z. 2006

1 comment:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

It must have been nice to finally have command of the remote control... don't get use to it... I'm backkkk... :)

Z