Friday, November 24, 2006

A Mother’s Joy – Part II

Today my baby boy turns twenty one. Yes, I know he’s not a baby anymore. He hasn’t been for a very long time. He’s grown into a very smart and talented young man, whom I am very proud of. He has been on his own since he went to school to learn film making and will be coming home for a few months to save money to move to LA. I will miss him, but I’m so grateful that the Lord is providing this time together before he goes.

It reminds me of his birth twenty one years ago today. After I had his sister two years before that, the doctor informed that I tend to have large babies and this one was no exception. So he had planned for me to have a C-section. I thought this was great. The last time I was in hard labor for eighteen hours so no labor was cool with me.

My dad was a funny man. He insisted that I was carrying his first grandson (at this time he had three granddaughters whom he loved very much). He thought it was the most ridiculous thing he ever heard that a doctor would tell you when a baby should be born. He said, “Only God knows when a baby is going to be born. Who does this doctor think he is? My grandson will be born when he wants to be.”

So I checked into the hospital on a Sunday and was scheduled to have the baby on Monday morning. My father was right. I started having some pains that were very familiar to me. After the second one, Tom asked, “So when are you going to tell me you’re in labor?” My doctor was a fancy dinner party a couple of hours away and by the time he got there, I had been in labor for four hours. It wasn’t that bad. I had this beautiful baby boy and my dad had the satisfaction of being correct on two counts.

My husband was very funny. Afterwards he seen me and said, “Hey babe you done good.” He was really happy because the Giants won that Sunday and he had a son. Now we had a match set.

Now we were preparing his sister for his arrival for nine months. We even came home from the hospital with a gift from the baby to her. After a few days she came to me and said, “Mommy, you can take it back now.” When she realized he wasn’t going anywhere she started to adjust.

Today they are good friends and often would go out together. I love that they get along. I am a blessed woman. Happy Birthday, Tommy, I love you so.

© Nadine Z. 2006

No comments: