Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving and I’m about to cook up a storm, with help from Tom of course. I know I probably said this before, but he’s an excellent cook. Today he’ll help me make dinner for dear friends who will join us for Thanksgiving dinner.

The last few years we had gone to Seattle to spend it with our son. He was in school and we brought Thanksgiving to him. The best part I think for him was that we left the leftovers in his refrigerator. I’m sure he ate well for the next couple of weeks (I always overcook). It was fun for me to bring a little bit of home to his home. What I did was cook all week before Thanksgiving to make sure everything was done. All we had to do was reheat it when we got there.

This year we’re staying home. There is nothing I prefer more than cooking in the kitchen, except of course if I’m cooking with Tom. I know I mentioned that before, but he’s so cute it’s worth repeating. On today’s menu we’re have turkey (of course), ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, corn, green beans, pork stuffing with pine nuts, cranberry sauce, rolls and of course pumpkin pie (which our friends are bringing).

Thanksgiving is not all about just the great food we share. Usually everyone reflects on the things in life they are grateful for, so I’ll do the same. I’m so grateful to God for everything He’s done for me and all that’s He’s given me. His mercies are new ever morning and His grace is sufficient for me. This may sound cliché but that’s not my intention. I’m grateful that God loves me and the following reasons prove how much. I’m grateful for my husband, who loves me more than I can say. I’m grateful for my children, whom I love and am very proud of. I’m grateful for other family members. I’m grateful for our church and the wonderful people in it. I’m grateful for wonderful friends. I’m grateful for life, even though it challenges me most of the time.

As I started my list, I realized that there are so many things I’m grateful for that it’s difficult to list them all. So Lord, thank You for everything! Amen!

© Nadine Z. 2006

No comments: