Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Surprises

Who doesn’t like to be surprised? I for one can take it or leave. When I was child, I just couldn’t stand it. At Christmas time I would sneak down the stairs when everyone was asleep and very carefully open my presents and then wrap them back up. I couldn’t wait to see what I got. When Christmas morning came, I acted so surprised that no one was the wiser.

When I read a suspenseful novel, I’ll often jump ahead to see what will happen next. Shocking I know. I like hearing spoilers for television shows, but not movies. Movies don't take as long to resolve as television shows. Why would I want to ruin the surprise ending? The only answer I have is that I’m not a patient woman.

Some people hate to know what will happen. They like the suspense. My daughter hates spoilers. If she hadn’t seen a movie yet, she doesn’t want anyone telling her any part of it. She’ll walk out of the room if she thinks you will ruin any part of the story.

I do like some types of surprises, like parties. My parents threw me a surprise birthday party when I was nineteen and it was great. There were people there I didn’t expect to see. If I knew about it, it would have ruined the evening.

I haven’t opened up a Christmas present since I was a kid, but that's not to say I haven’t tried to find out what I received. This year it’s different. There is a present from Tom that’s in a bag. No protection whatsoever. I have no desire to peek (and it’s not because he reads this blog). I know that whatever my husband and children get me I will be very blessed and thrilled. They know how much I love receiving presents.

However, there is only one thing I desire for Christmas this year. It doesn’t come in a box and you can’t put a pretty bow on it. It is something that only God can give me. I want Tom healed. I want cancer to leave his body forever. I would give back every great gift I received in the past forty-five years in exchange for this one miracle. It is one surprise that I anxiously hope and wait for.

© Nadine Z. 2006

1 comment:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Hmmm.... are you sure you haven't looked in that bag??? :)

I love you... another fine post, you rock!

Tom