Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dreamgirls - The Movie

Tom took me out for dinner and a movie last night. I was so excited to finally see Dreamgirls. This musical was well done. Without ruining it for anyone I just wanted to say the story touched me. I even cried in a couple of parts, but I tend to be mushy (just don’t tell anyone, I do have a reputation).

Tom asked me afterwards what moved me about the movie. I had to think about that, but the answer was simple – passion. The passion expressed in word and especially song touched something inside. There were two numbers I enjoyed the most and that’s because the characters sang their heart out. I felt their pain and disappointment.

I’ve been a fan of the musical all my life; Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, West Side Story, Singing in the Rain, A Star is Born, My Fair Lady, Grease, Fiddler on the Roof and Sound of Music to name a few.

I love all types of music from classical to rock. For me, I can’t hear music without picturing dancing in my mind. Maybe that’s why I love musicals. Sometimes there is dancing and sometimes just singing. When done well it makes you want to sing or dance along. It takes you to a place of make believe (because normally people don't break out in song or dance during normal conversation).

So if a musical can evoke passion, how much more does worship? There have been times worship was really good and other times I just didn’t feel it. What was the difference? For me it was what I brought to the table. If I came prepared to worship, it didn’t matter what songs were sung because I worshiped. The music was between me and God and everyone else disappeared. That was the difference for me last Sunday when I danced my heart out. I felt it deep inside and it stirred passion within me.

So Dreamgirls may move you or it may not. I went prepared to be entertained and I was not disappointed. If you see it, I hope you enjoy it.

© Nadine Z. 2007

2 comments:

Dianna said...

We're planning on it! Thanks for an encouraging review!

Emancipation of the Freed said...

You are my dream girl and you stir passion in me!!

Love you...
Tom