Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Star Trek

I’m a big fan of Star Trek. There I said. I’m not ashamed. I liked watching the original cheesy version with its bad special effects and worse acting. Don’t you just love the way William Shanter spoke? No one butchers a sentence better than he does. It’s a classic. The many movies they made years later…priceless.

Star Trek The Next Generation – three words: Jean Luc Pickard. I can listen to him speak all day – classic voice. Special effects and acting improved greatly from the classic version, but hey it’s still Star Trek.

Star Trek Deep Space Nine – interesting new characters. I watched it for a while but it wasn’t the same.

Star Trek Voyager – cool female captain who takes herself too seriously. Still it feels like classic Star Trek. It’s enjoyable to watch.

Star Trek Enterprise – I’ve never seen it. A girl has limits and other interests.

Why the fascination with Star Trek? Today I was thinking about some of the cool gadgets of Star Trek. Who wouldn’t want to create a force field around their vehicles (especially if their teenagers are driving)? Why spend money going on a vacation? Instead visit the Holodeck and be anywhere you want to be.

My favorite is the transporter. Tom left on a business trip today and he’ll be gone until Sunday. When he travels, I wish there was a transporter that he can leave in the morning, do his business, then come home to me at night.

I want a transporter in my future – don’t you? I mean we have the flip phone. It’s the next logical step in technology. Okay, I know I’m stretching that a bit, but I’m missing him.

I’m counting the days honey.

© Nadine Z. 2008

22 comments:

Art said...

I... attended the ... William SHATTNER school of (dramatic pause) over-ACTING!

Not really... but I love the original ST series. Seen 'em all at least a dozen times. The movies are great as well. And TNG: awesome! But after that, it just wasn't the same.

Still, I hope you get your transporter soon!

Make it so.

The Creative Nut said...

I loved the Star Trek Series; Next Generation and Voyager. Enterprise was iffy. Grew up on the Next Generation shows, and still love to watch them.

KarenW said...

I really hope someone is working on a transporter. Wouldn't that be fun!

Karen said...

A transporter would be awesome! That would make my hubby's business trips a lot less difficult as well.

Amanda said...

I actually don't mind the newest star trek but that is as far as I go! :-)

Desert Reiver said...

Yet another reason I like you. I'm a big Star Trek fan also. Grew up during the original. Loved NG and Voyager DS9 was pretty good. I also didn't get into Enterprise series when it originally aired but I recently recorded and watched the entire series on SciFi channel when they showed four episodes each Monday for several months. I just saw a article on the web that predicted that we could see Holodecks in our lifetime.

j said...

I watched Star Trek in TV as a kid and that's as far as I got. I haven't watched ANY of the movies. But I am all for the gadgets. Anything to make life easier and less scary. Jen

j said...

I actually watched Star Trek "ON" Tv and not in it. That would have been a bit cramped.

Jen(n) said...

I love star trek too! Tyler got me hooked!!!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I hope the time flies by for both of you.

I was an avid Star Trek fan. I watched with my dad every night. It was our time together. I admit I didn't like any of the new ones after Star Trek: the Next Generation.

Scarlet said...

The transporter is a wonderful idea. I hope you don't miss him too much...only three more days to go! :)

Kate said...

I'll be transported in the future...yesssssss indeed...who needs technology when ya got...well...beam me up Jesus!

I think I have one of those movies...I do believe it is the Next Generation...on Laser Disc of all things...yep, still have the momma of all lazer products.

palmtreefanatic said...

a Transporter? yeah that would be great wouldn't it?! ya never know;)

Strider said...

Hey, don't forget, God has the origional transport system. He did it for Philip....who knows...Nadine may be next!

Tammy said...

Very cute, Nadine! My husband is a bit of a Trekky...not so much anymore, but he still has just a little bit left in him. I only liked the original Star Trek...such memories growing up watching those reruns at 5 pm every day. Loved William Shatner! :)

Keshi said...

** William SHATTNER

like him alot :)

Keshi.

Demara said...

I LOVED Star Trek the Next Generation, yes because of those three word's "classic voice"! I wish I every home had a holodeck too!!!

Knit-Wit said...

I LOVE Star Trek - and Jean Luc? Well... let's just say he's on my list of sexy old guys (guys older than me anyway...)

Ann(ie) said...

Never been a Star Trek fan, but my husband is the biggest fan I know!

eph2810 said...

You are too funny :) Yeah - I am a Star Trek fan myself. I grew up with the original one :)...The transporter would be cool - than I wouldn't have to endure traffic to work...

Anonymous said...

i love star trek too! and for many of the same reasons. i count captian janeway as one of my heroes - he makes such tough decisions! looking forward to the new movie....

United Studies said...

I have often wished I had a transporter, because here in the DC metro area it takes you FOREVER to get through traffic.

I am also a big Star Trek fan and can't wait for the new movie to come out.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!