Thursday, April 18, 2013

The First Time I Heard . . .


I watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother that triggered a pleasant memory. Marshall and Lilly just got married and stopped to get something to eat at a hamburger joint. Through funny sitcom circumstances beyond their control, they didn’t have anything to eat at their fancy wedding. The guy behind the counter said, “Hey dude your wife just barfed in the garbage can.” She had too much champagne. A pleasant smile crossed Marshall’s face.

I know what you’re thinking but no I didn’t vomit after my wedding because I got drunk. Granted I was only nineteen when we got married so technically that sip of champagne I had during the toast was illegal. Shhhh . . . don’t tell anyone.

The pleasant memory it sparked was the first time I heard myself being referred to as Tom’s wife. We were together for over three and half years before we said, “I do.” I was used to being called, “Tom’s girlfriend” and then “Tom’s fiancé.” This was different. This was special. 

On the way to the honeymoon, I needed to make a pit stop. There was no place to stop, so Tom stopped at an office building off the highway. Tom asked the man behind the counter if his wife could use the restroom. When he said the word ‘wife’, something inside of me felt complete. That same smile I had seen on Marshall’s face appeared on mine. It made me almost forget why we stopped in the first place. 

It’s almost thirty-two years and it still doesn’t get old. I love when he introduces me. He adds now that I’m his better half. I disagree with that. He’s my better half. Together we have grown into better people because of the other person. He’s helped me be nicer and I’ve helped him to be funny. 

© Nadine Zawacki 2013

4 comments:

Just a minute...my cape is in the dryer! said...

I'm so happy to hear how very much in love you have remained:) It is a rare thing these days, and I was blessed to know you both from the start:) <3

Louise said...

SO sweet!!! You guys are truly blessed :)!

Shionge said...

This is so lovely & sweet and I wish both of you many more good years.

Nadine, if you ever plan a holiday to Singapore do let me know and I would love to bring you around and get to know my family :D

Nadine said...

Thank you for your kind comments.
@Shionage - I would be so honored to have you show me around Singapore. I would love to visit Singapore one day.