Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Brother

On our visit to New York, we stopped by to see my brother, Frantz and his wife Nancy. I love my brother who is ten years older than me. Growing up, he would try to scare me all the time on one hand and on the other he would also protect me. Another memory I have was how he would charge me for everything. For example, if I got a message he would say, "Give me a dollar." I never paid him, but I have a whopper of a tab going. Even at our age as I was putting on my make-up, he snuck up behind me and made a barking sound. At my age that could be dangerous.

We always have a good time when we are together.

When we left Haiti, I was only two years old so I don't remember life there, but my brother does. We were about to have dinner when he mentioned my mother sewing wedding dress business in the home. I said, "Mom never had a business in the house." I then came to realized that happened before I was born. From that point on I made him spill information about growing up in Haiti. I couldn't get enough. We had such a wonderful time listening to stories I've never heard of before.

Frantz remembered that he had my dad's sketch book. Our father died twenty six years ago. My dad  was an architect among the many other things he did for a living. The sketch book was from the time he was in school. (Sketch pictured below).


The details were hard to capture in a photo. My brother and his lovely wife could see how much I enjoyed the sketch book. He gifted me the sketch book. It was priceless. I cried and I don't usually do that often. My heart was so full after this visit. I love you brother. Thank you.

© Nadine Zawacki 2015

No comments: