Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Chipped Heart


-->
Anyone who knows me, knows l how much I love my husband, Tom. He’s a good man with a good heart. He’s kind, loving and a caring man. He has battled cancer twice before and it’s been 11 years since the last battle.

This is what I’ve learned about cancer – it’s like a terrorist. It causes fear in the hearts in those who hear the words, “I’m sorry to say, but you have cancer.” I’ve learned while fighting cancer that you enjoy the good days, endure the bad days, but no matter what – you keep moving forward.

In the past 11 years we didn’t think about it very much except when there was a check up, a blood test, or a scan. The terror lies dormant, threatening to strike anytime. You breathe easy when you receive the all clear. But now, it has come back for a third time.

Tom and I both work in a hematology and oncology clinic. I work as a front office assistant and Tom helps find funding to help cancer patients with their bills. There are over a hundred people that work here. The clinic helps many patients as they navigate their worst days.

So, what’s up with the picture above? What does it have to do with cancer? I was checking in a new patient for his appointment. I asked for his paperwork and he handed me back a couple of forms that I didn’t need. Since they had some of his personal information on it, I asked if he wanted it back and he replied that he didn’t. I assured him I would place it in my shred bin. He then precedes to hand me the heart pictured above. He simply said, “Here’s something that doesn’t fit in a shred bin.” I thanked him for his thoughtfulness. On closer examination, I noticed that the heart had a chip in it, and it immediately spoke to me. It was like God was trying to tell me that He knew that my heart was broken, but He held it in His hands. He was in control. It gave me hope. I certainly can use hope right now. God used a stranger to speak to my heart at time when I needed it the most.

My hope is that this is the final time we battle cancer. The last time Tom has to go through treatments. I may not know what the details are or how Tom’s body will react to treatment, but I know this . . . God has this. He has placed so many people in our lives to help us through this battle. I’m truly grateful that if cancer had to come back, it came back now, while working at a clinic extremely equipped to give Tom the best care possible.

© Nadine Zawacki, Jan. 15, 2020

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Nadine, holding you both in my heart, Teressa

Anonymous said...

Love you guys... So sorry that tom has Cancer again.. Praying for you guys.. Believing with you that this Cancer goes and never comes back.. Pastor Dave Talkington

Anonymous said...

nancyHi Naine , I am so sorry to hear that you guys have to go through this battle again, God is so good to encourage our hearts when we need it most esp. through stranger , hugs from SCC praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

I have followed your blog for a while now. So sorry to hear this news. I am praying for you.