Friday, December 15, 2006

Office Christmas Dinner

Tonight my office had Christmas dinner at Red Lobster. Spouses were invited, but unfortunately Tom couldn’t come with me. He was out of town teaching a class. To be honest, I didn’t want to be the only one there without her husband. Have I gone places without him? Of course I have. Have I had a good time and been fine? Of course I have. This was different. My job is a stressful place for me for various reasons. I have tried to go beyond the trials and forge ahead and treat those I work with the way God would have me.

As I was driving tonight, I just prayed that I could have the superpower to transport someone through time and space. I just didn’t want to face this evening alone. Now I could have stayed in that place, but I choose not to. Instead, I started to pray that God would help me to see them through His eyes and that I would be a delight at the table.

So they laughed and I laughed. Before I knew it the evening came to an end and it was time to go home. I missed Tom tonight because I just wanted him to be near me so that I could touch his hand or look in his wonderful, caring eyes. Instead of the dread I felt while getting ready, I was able to have a pleasant.

I kept thinking about Tom and the very uncomfortable situation he faced today. The electricity had been out since last evening. His room was cold and he had trouble sleeping. He and the rest of the team had to teach in the cold with only daylight that shined through the windows. They had to end by 4:30 pm because it got too dark.

God taught me perceptive. I had to be by myself at a silly dinner and he couldn’t see in the dark. I could sleep in our comfortable, warm bed and he won’t have that same luxury. If the lack of electricity was the only warfare he and the others faced then it would have been fine, but it’s one of many.

So Lord, I pray that the electricity comes back on and that the warfare would end. Bring him and the rest of the team home safely tomorrow. Bless the students during these distractions and help them to get all they need from the class.

© Nadine Z. 2006

1 comment:

Emancipation of the Freed said...

Thanks for praying... I'll see you soon